2011年11月22日星期二

Nay rises with second swim gold

Last year marked one of the darkest periods in Meagen Nay's life. On Friday, Nay was Rosetta Stone V3 celebrating her swimming career's greatest point after claiming 0m backstroke gold at the Delhi Commonwealth Games. Barely a year after flying home from a meet due to her brother's tragic death, Nay (2:07.56) held out England's Elizabeth Simmonds (2:07.90) and Australia's Emily Seebohm (2:.28) to grab her second gold of the Games. Advertisement: Story continues below There was plenty to celebrate - she set a new Commonwealth Games record to oust the reigning European champion Simmonds. Her joy over her stunning win on Games debut was in stark contrast to her poolside body language last year. In July , Nay was told her brother Amos had been killed in a car accident. Showing great strength, Nay still went out and swam in the 4x100m freestyle relay heats at the Rome world championships. But soon after she left for her brother's funeral. The tragic Rosetta Stone Latin America Spanish situation was made even more devastating by the fact her father - 1972 Olympian Robert - was also killed in a Gold Coast crash, when she was four. But nothing could wipe the smile off Nay's face on Friday after she was cheered on to victory by her mother and two sisters. "It was crazy. I managed to walk away with two gold medals from my first Commonwealth Games," Nay beamed. "I knew that my dad and my brother were definitely pushing me through that. "It's kind of proof that you can come out the other side and I'm so glad that my family is here tonight to share it with me. "Yeah, it's a dream come true." It was her first individual gold medal but she had also chimed into the winning 4x0m freestyle relay team in Delhi. Nay - who also broke the Games record during the semis - clocked a final time that was just outside her PB (2:07.41) and the fifth fastest of the year. The event also continued Seebohm's happy knack of collecting medals. She now has one gold, two silvers and two bronze on Games debut. National champion Belinda Hocking (2:.01) was fourth, a disappointing result after she arrived in Delhi with 0m Pan Pacs silver. "I pushed off the last wall and watched my turn and could see that she (Simmonds) was a little bit ahead of me and I knew that I had a pretty good last 50," Nay said. "So I just Rosetta Stone Arabic worked it and could kind of see her catching me but then the last 25 I just put my head down and kicked as hard as could."

没有评论:

发表评论